I fell in love with the vintage looking fabrics and layout of this charming quilt. Pretty flowers and swirls are perfect compliment to the prints of the fabrics and show well on the white sashing and border fabric. When I don’t include a picture of the back, it is because the fabric is usually fairly busy and doesn’t show the quilting. And again, this would remind me of a ‘Grandma Quilt’ and warm my heart with memories of my time with Meda Ferguson, my husbands grandmother. She had her sewing cabinet tucked behind the couch in their tiny living room and would sew in the evenings when all the chores were done.
It’s always challenging to add quilting to a finished well loved quilt, and this quilt was no exception. It had two tattered blocks which had to be replaced (see the orange/brown peacock triangle in the photo) and the loaded and quilted between the bound edges. This certainly is nicer and more durable than the ties that previously held the quilt together and I am thrilled to know it will be many more years of use and love.
This magnificent quilt was made with machine embroidery applique using watercolor fabrics on a brown background. When people saw this quilt on the frame they thought it was leather. Hours and hours of stitch in the ditch and outlining went into this quilt before the fun of the free motion background and sashing work. The result is stunning!
It’s always great to take a long ago quilt top and bring it to completion. Although the solid stars could have been a palette for custom quilting, I chose a lightly dense edge to edge to hold all the loose hand pieced fabrics together. This young piecer wanted something non traditional and I went with one of my favorite graffiti patterns. I used a variegated thread that would show on the back and a monofilament on the top. Its like a back to the future quilt from front to back!
I am catching up on the photography of my own personal quilts. This fun and spooky quilt is a sister quilt to Mr. Chillingsworth, however she came only as a panel instead of a kit so I found a complimentary layout and started pulling together Halloween fabrics. The flag and book fabric is from the original quilt but the rest were added. I used the same spider web design and thread as the Mister quilt and now they make quite a pair!